Thursday 22 July 2021

Scuff marks and Japanese Wrestling figures

Hello again, figure collectors. A new blog entry and ....a new layout!

Whenever I would purchase loose figures from Japan, the first thing I would always do was check
over the condition of my new figures.

Unlike Wrestling figures found in the U.S., most Wrestling figures in Japan are made of a cheaper
plastic known as PVC (Polyvinyl chloride). A plastic that is more susceptible to develop scratches,
discoloration and the dreaded scuff marks (especially with older figures that have been removed
from their packaging for quite some time).

For Blog #190, I'll provide you with one of my tricks that can help restore some of your Japanese
figures from years of wear.


For today's example, I'll be using a Character Product Bob Sapp figure. As you can see,
there are a few noticeable scuff marks along Sapp's trunks.



Before I offer my alternative, I highly recommend that you should always attempt scrubbing
your figures lightly with soap and warm water first.

If the scuff marks are still visible after applying soap and water:


...try some Baking soda.

DISCLAIMER: baking soda is an abrasive chemical. Meaning, if you use too much
of it, you run the risk of stripping away the paint work on your figure(s). ONLY use this
method as a last resort when attempting to clean up your older figure(s). We at Tiger
Driver Collectibles will not be held responsible for accidental damage or wear done to
your figure(s).

Trust me, I accidentally scrubbed the beard off of a Mitsuharu Misawa figure once.
Not fun.


1) Pour some baking soda into a small bowl or container.

2) Add a few drops of warm water into the bowl or container (enough to turn the baking
soda into a paste like the above photo).

3) Make sure you don't add too much water or the baking soda will become diluted and less
effective.

4) Use a wet rag or paint brush (I prefer the latter) along with the baking soda to scrub over
the figure's scuff marks.

5) Rinse the figure with warm water and repeat the above steps if necessary.


With a bit of baking soda and warm water, the Bob Sapp figure's scruff marks are gone.



Closing thoughts:

Whether I was adding older figures to my collection or shipping out a few spares to some friends,
it became a habit for me to apply baking soda to the older Japanese figures. I simply wanted my
older figures looking their best.

While Baking Soda is effective, the solute won't clear up every imperfection a figure may possess
(such as figure bruising, discoloration, cuts in a figure, etc), but baking soda could help turn back
the clock on some of your figure(s) shelf ware from over the years.

Beyond Character Product figures, I've also had great luck removing scuff marks on other
Japanese figures made by: Toukon Shop, Mogura House, HAO and even some Keshigomu
erasers figures made by POPY and Bandai!

That's all I have to say for now. More figure reviews coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment